How to Serve Keg Beer at a Wedding
When it comes to serving drinks at a wedding, keg beer is a popular choice for many couples. Not only does it help to create a laid-back and casual atmosphere, but it also offers a cost-effective solution for serving a large number of guests. If you are considering serving keg beer at your wedding, here are some tips to ensure a smooth and enjoyable experience for everyone.
1. Choose the right beer: Consider the preferences of your guests and select a variety of beers to suit all tastes. Opt for popular options such as lagers, ales, or even craft beers for a more unique touch.
2. Determine the quantity: Calculate the number of guests and estimate the amount of beer they are likely to consume. As a general rule, plan for each guest to consume around two 12-ounce servings per hour.
3. Rent the appropriate equipment: Make sure to rent the necessary equipment for serving keg beer, including a kegerator or jockey box, CO2 tank, and beer taps. Ensure that the equipment is properly set up and tested beforehand.
4. Keep it cool: To ensure the beer stays cold and refreshing, store the kegs in a cool place or use a keg cooler to maintain the desired temperature.
5. Provide proper glassware: Offer a variety of glassware options, such as pint glasses or plastic cups, to accommodate your guests’ preferences.
6. Train the bartenders: If you are hiring bartenders, ensure they are familiar with serving keg beer and are knowledgeable about the different types of beer being offered.
7. Create a self-serve station: Set up a designated area where guests can help themselves to beer on tap. Provide clear instructions on how to pour the beer properly to avoid excessive foam.
8. Offer non-alcoholic alternatives: Remember to provide non-alcoholic options for guests who do not drink alcohol or prefer alternatives. This can include soda, water, or mocktails.
9. Monitor consumption: Keep an eye on the consumption rate and adjust the supply accordingly to avoid running out of beer or ending up with excessive leftovers.
10. Decorate the kegs: Personalize the kegs by adding a custom label or decoration that matches your wedding theme. It adds a fun and unique touch to the overall ambiance.
11. Consider a beer tasting: If you want to elevate the experience, offer a beer tasting session during cocktail hour. This allows guests to sample different beers and learn more about their flavors.
12. Hire a professional: If you want to ensure a seamless beer service experience, consider hiring a professional beer caterer. They will handle all the logistics, from setting up the equipment to serving and replenishing the kegs.
1. How many kegs do I need for my wedding?
Estimate one keg for every 30-40 guests, depending on their beer consumption.
2. Can I have different types of beer on tap?
Yes, you can offer multiple beer options to cater to different tastes.
3. How do I keep the kegs cold during the wedding?
Consider renting a keg cooler or storing them in a cool place with ice packs or coolers.
4. Can I return unused kegs?
Check with the supplier regarding their return policies for unused kegs.
5. How long does a keg stay fresh once tapped?
Once tapped, a keg can stay fresh for up to two to three months if kept refrigerated and sealed.
6. Can I serve keg beer at an outdoor wedding?
Yes, as long as you have the appropriate equipment and keep the kegs cool.
7. Do I need to buy or rent the beer taps?
You can rent beer taps along with the keg and equipment or purchase them separately.
8. How do I properly pour a beer from a keg tap?
Tilt the glass at a 45-degree angle and slowly open the tap to prevent excessive foam.
9. Can I have a keg beer and wine bar at my wedding?
Yes, it’s common to have both options available to cater to different preferences.
10. Can I serve keg beer at a formal wedding?
While keg beer is often associated with casual events, it can be served at formal weddings too, depending on the couple’s preference.
11. How do I transport the kegs to the wedding venue?
Use a vehicle with enough space or consider hiring a delivery service.
12. Can I serve other types of alcohol along with keg beer?
Absolutely! You can offer a full bar service alongside the keg beer for a wider variety of drink options.
Serving keg beer at your wedding can be a fun and cost-effective way to provide guests with a refreshing beverage option. By following these tips and considering your guests’ preferences, you can create a memorable and enjoyable experience for everyone.